While earth is blue because of the large quantity of water on its surface, almost 97.5 percent of that water is in the form of seas and oceans. That water is not fit for human use and we are yet to develop a technology that can convert it into potable water at a large scale. Therefore, it is essential that we conserve water – which is one of the elements that have made life possible on our planet.
Here are some interesting facts about water use in our daily lives.
- Almost 150 liters of water used by a person every day for drinking, cooking, cleaning etc.
- 70% of the total freshwater is used for producing the food we eat.
- You can reduce your food related water foot print by 36% if you switch to a mostly vegetarian diet.
So, what can we do to save more water?
Well, here are some things which will make you water-wise and help the planet save tons of water.
- Turning off the tap while you brush will save 6 liters of water per minute. Moreover, fixing leaky taps can stop wastage of 60 liters of clean water.
- Buying a water purifier will ensure that you have as much water as you need for drinking and cooking. Filling your glass as per your need ensures that drinking water is not wasted.
- Spending less time in the shower can save up to 17 liters of water per minute. Getting a more efficient shower can also help you save water.
- Washing clothes in full machine loads helps in saving both energy and water.
- Dual flush systems in your toilets can save over 60% of the water being used in comparison to old-style single flush systems.
- Instead of draining the excess water used for boiling veggies, you can use it as a tasty stock for soups or let it cool and water the plants with it.
- Use the waste water dispensed from your RO purifier for cleaning and watering the plants.