Reverse osmosis is currently the best water purification process available for general consumers. Reverse osmosis uses on the scientific principle of osmosis, reversing it through a mechanical process. In this post, we are sharing tips on how to maintain your RO water purifier to keep it efficient.
- Change the RO filters on time:
Neglecting a product’s service and maintenance cycles results in loss of performance over time. Modern water purifiers have up to 8-stage filtration and the filters have a specified life. These filters need to be changed on time to keep the RO running at full efficiency. Here is a basic guide for changing the most common filters found in home and office water purifiers.
- A pre-filter which is used to remove large sand and sediment particles prevents the RO membrane inside the main RO unit from getting damaged. It must be changed every six to nine months to ensure maximum performance.
- The carbon filter which is used for removing odor and chlorine content from the water supply should also be replaced every six months. If the water supply is relatively clean, the carbon filter can last up to nine months as well.
- The RO membrane removes residual sediments and other dissolved solids from the water filtered by the pre-filter and the carbon filter. The membrane has relatively longer life and needs to be replaced after two years.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: Apart from replacing the RO filters, the unit should be cleaned by professionals periodically. Sanitization of the interiors will ensure that the water storage tanks and the inlets and outlets remain free from insect infestations and other bacterial growths which could occur in warm and humid climates.
- Installing a Water Softener: If your area has a hard water problem, installing an RO water softener is advised. Water softeners protect your RO membrane from hard water elements like calcium and magnesium. Installing a water softener will require professional help and plumbing work.
- Keeping the Surroundings Clean: It is not just the interiors of the RO purifier that need to be cleaned periodically. For efficient functioning and reducing the risk of water pollution, you should also maintain hygiene around the main unit. Since most water purifiers are used in Kitchens and pantries, there is a high chance of grease accumulating on and around the tap area. Regularly cleaning the tap will prevent bacterial and viral elements from entering your drinking and cooking water.
We hope this article was helpful for you. If you are looking for maintenance and service of your Livpure water purifier, you can visit us at www.livpure.com and place an online service request.
Read 7 Health benefits of using water purifiers in India here